Monday, April 23, 2012
Gear Review: Fenix LD-20 Flashlight
Blade HQ. After opening this box and pulling the flash light out of its box I was blown away. This is the first really nice flash light I have ever had and I am over whelmed by how nice it is. Aircraft grade machined aluminium with a back button to turn it on. It takes 2 AA batteries but the lithium type seem to last the longest. It can also take rechargeable batteries too.
Turning this bad boy on in the dark is an experience also. It is so bright in turbo mode you will probably turn it down a bit. It comes in at a whopping 180 lumen's. I am used to a flash light that puts out a max of about 25 lumen's so this was a huge shock. The LD-20 feels very comfortable in my hand and is not awkward at all to hold in various positions. Having all that light at your disposal is great because it makes things even in the distance look very clear. The beam goes out up to 360 feet and stays clear.
I have heard many very good things about Fenix flash lights on the forums and They are all very accurate. This particular model is going for $79 but right now Blade HQ has it for $59. This is a steel for this flash light. I am going to order two more so I have one for the vehicle and one for my son and his wife.
Blade HQ is one of our new sponsors and they carry a huge selection of Knives, Flash lights, Knife accessories, and Survival Gear. Go on over and check them out and let them know that you saw there stuff on The Retreat. Lets support them, they are a great bunch of people and their customer service is 5 star.
Here are the complete spec's on the LD-20
• Cree XP-G (R5) LED with lifespan of 50,000 hours
• Two modes (6 types) of output, generation/turbo selected by turning the bezel (patented)
General Mode: 5 lumens (100 hrs)-> 30 lumens (15 hrs)-> 81 lumens (5 hrs 57 min)-> SOS
Turbo Mode: 180 lumens (2hrs 16 min)-> Strobe
• Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
• Uses two 1.5V AA ( Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium ) batteries, inexpensive and widely available (NOT INCLUDED)
• 150mm (Length) x 21.5mm (Diameter)
• Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• 2.2 oz. / 60-gram weight (excluding batteries)
• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard
• Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
• Push-button tail cap switch
• Capable of standing up securely on a flat surface to serve as a candle
• Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design
• Included accessories: holster, lanyard, body clip, two spare o-rings, and a rubber switch boot
•FL 1 Standard:
Distance: 360 feet (110 m)
Impact Resistant: 4.92 ft (1.5 m)
Waterproof: IPX-8, underwater 6.56 ft (2 m)